Friday 4 April 2008

Spiders

I seem to have had an infestation of spiders of late. I don't know about you but I can't stand the buggers and so I get rid of them as soon as I see one. One turned up on the edge of the bath yesterday whilst I was drying myself off.

Now, I've become a little more liberal of late and have allowed a little one to reside in my bedroom on the basis that it stays alive provided it comes nowhere near the bed. So far its been good. But this one in the bathroom obviously didn't know the rules. If I hadn't have knocked it off and squashed it (ok I didn't actually squash it, the water on the floor drowned it and saved me the guilt), it might have gone on to sit on my towel the next time I went to pick it up. And then I'd have been pissed and who knows what might have happened to the one in my bedroom or the tiny one who lives in the car wing mirror.

Is there not a way to build a house (particularly modern houses - this flat is about 5 years old!!) so that spiders cannot get access? I may lobby for it along with my other pet hate - lowered cash machines that give 6 foot 6 blokes like me chronic back ache. Oh and don't get me started on buses and planes. In fact, I now think that spiders might be ok. I may even give the little fecker who lives in my bedroom a name. Yeah, I'm thinking - in Red Indian style - "He who treads a thin line"?

1 comment:

Si said...

Another one bites the ......

Actually he didnt. I am definetly mellowing in my old age. This one ran from underneath my keyboard earlier whilst I was deep in thought. I can't deny that he scared the sh*t out of me but I didn't squash him. Nah, he was only small so I had a good look at it before picking him up with some paper and depositing him on the little tree in my lounge. Still don't think I'd be keen on one of those 50p sized ones though, but its a start.

Actually that reminds me, I was watching TV earlier whilst eating my dinner and I caught a bit of a program on Sky 3 called Shadow of the Shark or something similar. This female diver was explaining how she regularly visited the same spot to see this big Moray Eel. The first few times it was cautious but over the years it began to open up and became quite friendly - even letting her hug it. It seemed quite weird that you could have a person/dog type relationship with an Eel that potentially could bite your hand off and in an environment where you are alien but if thats the case, then maybe the spider has feelings too.